Monday, May 3, 2010

How do you know?

I've been sitting here trying to think of a good segue into a question I need to ask, and to be honest, I can't think of one. So I'm just going to jump in with both feet.

How do you know when the Holy Spirit is talking to you?

I've been struggling with this question over the last couple of days. Even though I've been saved for most of my life, I've only been truly growing in Christ for a couple of months. I talked to my mom about it some tonight, but I really want to know what it's like for you. Is it the same for everybody? I'm full of doubts, my mind is in turmoil. How do I know if it's Him and not my own wishing or conclusions? I know that if it goes against scripture, it's not Him. But I hear people say, "When God speaks to you, you'll know," but then I also hear, "I didn't realize what He was wanting me to do until it was too late." So if you recognize His voice, do you always know what He wants, or is that the second part of the riddle?

I keep reading and hearing about the exact same thing. My mom says that it's no coincidence, that it's God telling me something. The only problem is, I'm not exactly sure what. When I felt God's presence earlier this year, I KNEW it was Him and I knew what he was promising. Of that, I was sure. But I have a feeling that God's not going to come at me with a bullhorn every time He speaks to me. I need to learn how to listen. I'm trying, but I'm still not sure of what I'm hearing. I don't want to figure it out too late.

So for those who are older and wiser in your faith, I would really love it if you would tell me your thoughts on this matter. If you don't want to leave me a comment, please feel free to shoot me an email. And hopefully, I'll figure it all out soon. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment